Results and Analysis of speaking problemsThis is a featured page

After collecting a questionnaire discussing the problem, reasons, and some solutions related to English speaking from students of English, these were the findings. Notice that these are the responses of 60 students majoring in English, from the levels (4-8) in King Khalid University.

D- Questionnaire Results:

(Table 1)

No. Question Yes No No Answer
1 Do you do anything in your spare time that helps you to speak English? 52% 48% -
2 Do you think it is important to speak English? 95% 5% -
3 Do you think you need to work more on to improve your speaking? 97% 3% -
9 10. Do you manage to speak without too much hesitation? 57% 43% -
10 Do you manage to get your ideas across? 75% 25% -
11 Do you pronounce words and sentences clearly? 58% 42% -
12 Do you make many mistakes in the structure of your sentence? Did you use a wide range of structures or 'play it safe' with simple sentences? 62% 33% 5%
13 Do you know all the words that you needed? 62% 38% -
14 Are you familiar with cultural gaps? 47% 48% 5%
16 Do you believe that you can speak English really well? 63% 37% -
(Table 2)

4-How do you feel about speaking English in the classroom?
Rate Answer

ONE ANSWER
27% I like it
5% I don’t mind
2% I prefer not to
2% I dislike it
8% I always try to do it
3% I always try to avoid it

TWO ANSWERS
23% I like it/I always try to do it
3% I like it/I always try to avoid it
8% I dislike it/I always try to avoid it
2% I don’t mind/ I always try to do it
8% I don’t mind/ I always try to avoid it
8% I prefer not to/ I always try to avoid it
(Table 3)

5 Are you afraid of making mistakes when speaking English? No answer Very much A little Not at all
2% 30% 57% 11%

(Table 4)


6-What kind of mistakes do you think you make most often?
Rate Answer

ONE ANSWER
10% Pronunciation
28% Vocabulary
7% Grammar

TWO ANSWERS
17% Pronunciation/Grammar
3% Pronunciation/vocabulary
15% Vocabulary/grammar
20% All answers

(Table 5)

7-What strategies do you use if you got stuck in speaking English?
Rate Answer

ONE ANSWER
7% I don't do anything
20% I use another English word/phrase
10% I ask the person I am speaking with to help me.
13% I use body language.
5% I use my own or another language

TWO ANSWERS
2% I ask the person I am speaking with to help me +I use my own or another language
3% I ask the person I am speaking with to help me +I use body language.
5% I use another English word/phrase + I use body language.
7% I use another English word/phrase + I use my own or another language
5% I use another English word/phrase + I ask the person I am speaking with to help me
2% I use body language + other answers.
2% I don't do anything + I use my own or another language
2% I don't do anything + I use body language.
2% I use body language + I use my own or another language

THREE ANSWERS
5% I use another English word/phrase + I use body language + I ask the person I am speaking with to help me.
2% I ask the person I am speaking with to help me + I use body language + I use my own or another language
2% I don't do anything + I use body language + I use another English word/phrase.
5% I use another English word/phrase + I ask the person I am speaking with to help me + I use my own or another language

MORE THAN THREE ANSWERS
2% I ask the person I am speaking with to help me + I use body language + I use my own or another language + I use another English word/phrase + Other written answer
2% No answer


(Table 6)



8- What strategies do you use when you do not understand something spoken in English?
Rate Answer

ONE ANSWER
3% I don't do anything
22% I ask the person to repeat.
22% I try to guess
7% I pretend I have understood.
8% I ask the person to rephrase or explain.

TWO ANSWERS
7% I ask the person to repeat + I ask the person to rephrase or explain
5% I ask the person to repeat + I pretend I have understood.
3% I ask the person to repeat + I try to guess.
3% I try to guess + I pretend I have understood
2% I try to guess + I ask the person to rephrase or explain.
2% I don't do anything + I try to guess.
2% I don't do anything + I ask the person to rephrase or explain

THREE ANSWERS
5% I ask the person to repeat + I try to guess + I ask the person to rephrase or explain.
2% I try to guess + I pretend I have understood + I ask the person to rephrase or explain.
2% I don't do anything + I ask the person to repeat + I pretend I have understood.
2% I don't do anything + I ask the person to repeat + I try to guess.
2% I ask the person to repeat + I try to guess + I pretend I have understood
2% I don't do anything + I try to guess + I pretend I have understood

MORE THAN THREE ANSWERS
2% I ask the person to repeat + I try to guess + I ask the person to rephrase or explain + other answers


(Table 7)


15 Are you used to having your speaking assessed by: -your teacher? -your classmates? -you yourself? No answer Yes always Yes often Yes sometimes No never
8% 37% 22% 3% 0%
20% 10% 32% 32% 20%
5% 40% 15% 32% 8%


E- Questionnaire Analysis:

Theses are analytical pie charts for the students' responses of each question:

chart 1


As the graph shows, about 48% of non-native English speakers do not do any thing in their spare time that could help in enhancing their speaking skills which is a serious indication. 52% of the speakers are doing what could enhance their speaking skills. So it is recommended that students must do some activities in their spare time to enhance their speaking potentials.





chart 2



The second questions shows that 95% of the speakers believe that speaking English is important and only 5% of the speakers believe not. This rate is rightly matching with the rest of the results of the questionnaire as shown below.





chart 3




This graph shows that 97% of the speakers agree that they must work on to improve their speaking which is a good indication. Only 3% don't agree.







chart 4



Chart 4 illustrates how the students feel about speaking in classroom. Many said they like it of which their rate is 28%. Also 23% said they like it and always try to do it which increases their total number to 51%. There are also 3% of the students who like it but always try to avoid it. 5% of the speakers do not mind to speaking at classroom in addition to 8% who don't mind and always try to avoid it. Also 2% don't mind but always try to do it. 8% of the students dislike speaking at classroom and try to avoid it and 2% dislike it only. There are 8% of the students who do not prefer to speak at class room and always try to avoid it besides 2% only prefer not to. A number of 8% always try to do it and 3% always try to avoid it. After calculating all who are trying to avoid speaking in classroom we conclude to the number 30% which indicates that 30% of the class students avoid speaking for the difficulties they face while speaking.



chart 5
At the fifth question as the diagram shows, 56% of the speakers are a little afraid of making mistakes during the conversation, 30% of them are very much afraid and 12% are not afraid which is a sign of the effect of psycholinguistic aspects on speaking.








chart 6



This graph shows that 28% of the speakers have semantic mistakes or mistakes connected to their vocabulary while speaking. If counting all the answers that includes vocabulary, we will find %66. Hence, we could place it as the most difficult. 20%, as the graph shows, stated that they do mistakes related to vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation. Another 17% said that they have pronunciation and grammar mistakes while speaking.




chart 7





As chart 7 shows, 20% of the speakers use another English word/ phrase. This answer is the most chosen. Also 13% use body language. And 10% ask the person they speak with for help. 2% of the students did not answer the question. The students' responses are varied. Some decided to select one answer. Others selected two answers. There are also who selected three answers and more than three. Some students wrote down their own strategy to deal with such a problem like changing the topic.




Results and Analysis of speaking problems - Love English

chart 8





In chart 8, students' responses also varied but 22% decided to ask the person they speak with to repeat when they do not understand something spoken in English. Another 22% of the speakers stated that they will try to guess the meaning. 8% will ask the person they speak with to repeat and 7% will pretend that they have understood. These active responses could really help. Results and Analysis of speaking problems - Love English

chart 9



In the opposite graph, 43% of the speakers encounter some hesitation while speaking English. The other 57% said that they don't encounter hesitation while they are speaking. It is recommended for those who hesitates so much in their speaking to trust themselves more.

chart 10




A big number of speakers do not have a problem in getting their ideas across. Only 25% of the speakers have this problem which is a good indication (as shown in chart 10).

chart 11




42% of the speakers have a pronunciation problem which can not be tackled without practice and hard work. Chart 11 also shows that about 58% of the speakers do not have this problem.

chart 12


Chart 12 shows that 62% of the speakers have a problem with grammar. A number which is more than that of the pronunciation. And the rest 33% don't have this problem. 5% of the students did not answer, may be for having problems other than stated or may be for something else.

chart 13



In the opposite graph, 62% of the speakers say that do not have problem in knowing the words they need while speaking in a conversation while 38% of them feel this difficulty. It is recommended for the 38% of speakers to follow the solutions above to solve this problem.

chart 14


This graph shows that 49% of the speakers are familiar with cultural gabs. The big number 51% are not familiar with cultural gabs which is an important point to be considered in a conversation with a non-native speaker.



chart 15
The three charts above shows the students' assessment for their speaking as follows: A- It is always done by their teacher for 37% of them and sometimes for 33%, it is also often done for 22%. B- It is often and some times done by their classmates for a number of 39%. And it is always done for 12%. C- It is always done by themselves for a 40% of them. It is sometimes done for 32% and is often for 15%. These results are really promising since there is always an evaluation for someone's speaking progress through their teachers, classmates, or themselves.

chart 16




Chart 16 shows that 63% have the determination to speak well which is a good indication to achieve their goals. It is recommended for the rest 37% to trust themselves more.



ghadafawzi
ghadafawzi
Latest page update: made by ghadafawzi , Mar 8 2008, 11:22 AM EST (about this update About This Update ghadafawzi Edited by ghadafawzi


view changes

- complete history)
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page.  Be the first to start a new thread.